Our Youth Workers have honorary contracts with UHBW and spend part of the week working there.
They also attend peripheral clinics across the region, including: Taunton, Cardiff, Bridgend, Pontypool, Torbay and Tonypandy.
We can support health professionals by:
- Attending Transition and young person clinics
- Presenting at study days
- Supporting your more complex patients
- Engaging with those that DNA to appointments
- Supporting with challenges/issues young people face that they may disclose in clinic appointments
Refer to us
- Let patient/family know we can offer support
- Ask to refer their details to us
- Consultants/health professionals can copy our youth workers into Clinical letters via dictation
To make a referral please email or call Audrey, the charity’s Administrator on:
Youth at Heart offers support, advocacy and opportunities to children, young people and their families, our support does not stop there, we also offer support to other professionals.
If you are a Teacher, Teaching Assistant, Community Family Worker, Youth Worker or any other professional working with a child or young person who is living with congenital heart disease, then please do get in touch to discuss what support we can offer you.
Here are a few examples
- Help understanding what CHD is, and the challenges faced by those living with it
- Acting as an independent advocate for young people in meetings about their education, or other aspects of their lives
- Signpost additional support
- Visiting your organisation to discuss CHD
Types of services offered to young people and families
- Support with Transition and Transfer from Paediatrics to adult services
- Inpatient and outpatient engagement
- Support with difficult conversations
- Whole family support
- Home visits
- Accompany them to meetings/appointments
- Support with jobs, interviews and CV writing
- Planning for college and/or university
Non-judgemental support. Non-medical, so less intimidating/establishment for patient. Activities important for confident building for complex YPs and making friends with other ACHD patients. Was told by a London colleague the other day that we are ‘miles ahead’ having a youth worker"
Explore Youth at Heart
Youth at Heart are a charity committed to young people aged 13-24, and their families, who are living with Congenital Heart Disease (CHD) in South West England and South Wales.
We empower, inform and support them to live their best life.
For young people
We are committed to supporting you as you start your Transition Journey aged 13 and leading up to your Transfer from Paediatrics to Adult Services and beyond, until your 25th birthday.
For the whole family
Youth at Heart recognise that congenital heart disease affects the whole family, which is why our Youth Workers are there for families too.
Youth at Heart rely on funds being raised through donations, grants, events and activities and for people to get involved to help us carry on our important work.
If you're interested in getting access to our printed materials, please contact us to let us know your name, address and how many posters and leaflets you require.
PB, Young Person
GC, Young Person
SL, Young Person